When is a Permit required?
Generally speaking permits are required for “non-ordinary” repairs. These include the following:

Permit Required -

• Cutting away a wall, partition or portion of a wall
• Removal or cutting a structural beam or load bearing support
• Removal or change or reduction in size of any required means of egress. This includes the rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting the egress requirements.
• A permit is required for the alteration of, addition to, replacement or relocation of the following:
o Standpipe
o Water supply
o Sewer
o Drainage basis
o Drain leader
o Gas piping
o Soil vent or piping
o Waste vent or piping
o Electrical wiring
o Mechanical alteration
? A permit is not required for the installation, alteration or repair of equipment that is, by established right, under the ownership and control of a public utility as the term “public utility” is defined in 66Pa.C.S. § 102 (relating to definitions) These include installations, alterations or repairs of generation, transmission, distribution, metering equipment under the ownership and control of a public utility.

Zoning Permit – The following Building Construction require a Zoning Permit:

• Installation of an uncovered deck where the floor of the deck is no more than 30 inches above grade.
• Any agricultural building
• Utility and miscellaneous use structures that are accessory to detached single-family dwellings and have a building area of less than 500 square feet. The term includes:
o Carports
o Detached private garages
o Greenhouses
o Sheds
o Enlargement of existing porch or stoop that is a supporting structure
No Permit Require –

Building Related Construction – no permit is required for:
• Exterior or interior painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, flooring, cabinets, counter tops and similar finishing works.
• Swings and other playground equipment accessory to a one or two family dwelling.
• Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
• Replacement glass in any window or door. The replacement glass shall comply with the minimum requirements of the “International Residential Code”.
• Installation and replacement of a window, door, garage door, storm window and storm door that does not require the alteration of the original opening.
• The installation of replacement windows or doors for means of egress or emergency escape may be made provided the size of the opening and the dimensions of the framing is not reduced in size.
• Replacement of existing siding.
• Repair or replacement of a porch or stoop that does not provide structural support for a roof or enclosure. (Enlargement of an existing porch or stoop requires a Zoning Permit)
• Installation of additional roll or batt insulation

Minor Electrical Work – no permit is required for:
• Replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to already approved, permanently installed receptacles.
• Replacement of a receptacle, switch, or lighting fixture rated at 20 amps or less and operating at less than 150 volts to ground with a like or similar item. Replacement of receptacles that require ground-fault circuit interrupter protection require a permit.
• Replacement of installed electrically operated equipment such as a doorbell, communication system and motor operated device do not require a permit.
• Installation, alteration or rearrangement of communications wiring.
• Replacement of dishwashers
• Replacement of kitchen range hoods
• Installation of battery-powered smoke detectors

Gas Work – no permit is required for:
• Portable heating, cooking or portable clothes drying appliances
• Replacement of a minor part in approved equipment that would alter the equipment thereby nullifying the approval or rendering the equipment unsafe.
• A portable fuel cell appliance that is not connected to a fixed piping system and is not interconnected to the power grid

Mechanical Work or Equipment – no permit is required for:
• A portable heating appliance
• Portable ventilation appliances
• A portable cooling unit
• Steam, hot or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment governed under the Uniform Construction Code.
• Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or render the equipment unsafe.
• Self-contained refrigeration systems containing 10 pounds or less of refrigerant or that are put into action by motors 1 horsepower
• Portable evaporative cooler
• A portable fuel cell appliance that is not connected to a fixed piping system and is not interconnected to a power grid

Plumbing Work – no permit is required for:
• Replacement of bib valves if the replacement hose bib valves are provided with an approved atmospheric vacuum breaker.
• Refinishing of existing fixtures.
• Replacement of ball cocks
• Repair of leaks
• Clearance of stoppages
• Replacement of faucets or working parts of faucets
• Replacement of traps
• Replacement of water closet, lavatory or kitchen sink in an existing location
• Replacement of non-commercial clothes washers and dishwashers

Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) – no permit is required for:
• Replacement of motors, pumps and fans of the same capacity.
• Repair and replacement of heating, supply and return piping and radiation elements that do not require rearrangement of the piping system
• Repair and replacement of ductwork
• Repair and replacement of control devices for heating and air conditioning equipment
• Replacement of kitchen range hoods with the same capacity hood
• Replacement of clothes dryers if there is not change in fuel type, location or electrical requirements
• Replacement of stoves and ovens if there is no change in fuel type, location or electrical characteristics

Any work not listed above requires the appropriate permit for Kennett Township.

Show All Answers

1. When is a Permit required?
2. How do I schedule an inspection?
3. Do I need a permit to put a fence up in my yard?
4. I am putting on a new roof, do I need a permit?
5. I am replacing my windows, do I need a Permit?
6. I am converting my heater from oil to gas, do I need a permit?
7. I plan to remove an in-ground pool on my property, do I need a permit?
8. I am having my kitchen remodeled, do I need a permit?
9. Do I need a permit to finish a basement?
10. Do I need a permit to add a sunroom, porch or garage?
11. Do I need a permit to replace siding on my home?
12. Do I need a permit to put a shed on my property?
13. Is a permit required to put a mobile/modular home on a property?
14. Do I need a permit to run a business out of my home?
15. I am getting a Hot Tub, do I need a permit for that?
16. I am having landscaping done, do I need a permit?
17. Subitting a permit-How many copys of plans do I need?
18. I am a contractor licensed in another State, do I need to be registered in PA?
19. Who do I contact to mark my utility lines before I begin construction?