Trails & Sidewalk Committee
- 1 p.m.
- 1st Tuesday of each month
- The meetings are hybrid; in-person at the Township in the Public Meeting Room and virtual via Zoom. Check the Township Calendar and Agenda Center for the Zoom link.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
Christina Norland, Chair (12/31/24) Kennett Trails Alliance Member
Abbie Kessler, Secretary (12/31/22) Land Conservancy member
Tom Janton, (12/31/25) Kennett Trails Alliance Representative (Township Resident)
Diane McGovern, (12/31/25) Historical Commission (Township Resident)
Rudy Karkosak (12/31/26) Planning Commission (Township Resident)
Tim Plemmons (12/31/24) Township Resident
Mission & Goals
Our mission is to connect the residents of Kennett Township to our natural beauty and to each other through sidewalks and trails that promote health, safety and a sense of community. We are developing and promoting a trail and sidewalk plan to create a network which links major open spaces, parks, public facilities, and neighborhoods in the Township and beyond.
Our goal is to provide increased walkability and recreational opportunities throughout the Township, via sidewalks and trails.
Understanding that trail development can be a lengthy and complicated process, we coordinate with township officials and private organizations to promote a regional approach to trails and sidewalks.
This 10-12 mile Greenway backbone is planned to connect Kennett area residents and visitors to the area’s major nature preserves and parks, and to the many amenities of highly walkable Historic Kennett Square. The Greenway will also connect to existing and planned neighborhood trail systems in Kennett Township, and nearby trails in New Garden Township, New Castle County, DE and beyond. Portions of the corridor are completed, but large sections are awaiting easement decisions and construction planning.
Goals for Sidewalks
Our long-range goal is to connect Kennett Township population centers to the Borough via sidewalks. Walking on a safe, connected network of sidewalks to restaurants, shopping, schools, athletic fields, etc. enhances the quality of life for everyone.
Why Establish Trails & Sidewalks?
Trails and sidewalks positively impact communities by providing not only recreation and transportation opportunities, but also by influencing economic and community development.
Some of the many benefits include:
- Making communities better places to live by preserving and creating open spaces
- Linking neighborhoods with shopping, work and school
- Encouraging physical fitness and healthy lifestyles
- Functioning as a buffer between the ‘built’ and the natural environment
- Providing enjoyable and safe options to car travel, thus reducing air pollution
- Enhancing the value of open space to the public by providing access
- Increasing the property values of homes located in close proximity to trails
- Providing a sense of place and community pride by integrating trail and sidewalk networks into the community.
For the most current Ordinance governing this Committee, click HERE.
Chandler Mill Greenway- NPDES Permit Applications
- 00_CCCD Application-Greenway Trail along Chandler Mill Rd
- 01_NOI Checklist-Greenway Trail along Chandler Mill Rd
- 01_NOI Form-Greenway Trail along Chandler Mill Rd
- 02-04_Fee or Check Scans - Greenway Trail along Chandler Mill Rd
- 05-07_County and Muni Notifications-Greenway Trail along Chandler Mill Rd
- 08-09_PNDI Reciept and Clearance Letters-Greenway Trail along Chandler Mill Rd
- 10_Module 1-Greenway Trail along Chandler Mill Rd
- 11_ESC Plan Drawings-Greenway Trail along Chandler Mill Rd
- 12_ES Supporting Calculations-Greenway Trail along Chandler Mill Road
- 13_Module 2-Greenway Trail along Chandler Mill Rd
- 14_PCSM Plan Drawings-Greenway Trail along Chandler Mill Rd
- 15_MRC Design Summary Sheets-Greenway Trail along Chandler Mill Rd
- 16_PCSM Suporting Calculations Soils_Geotech Results-Greenway Trail along Chandler Mill Rd
- 17-18-19_PCSM Spreadsheet-W Branch Red Clay Ck Chap 102 Area-Greenway Trail along Chandler Mill Rd
- 17-18-19_PCSM Spreadsheet-W Branch Red Clay Ck Chap 105 Area-Greenway Trail along Chandler Mill Rd
- 21_Landscaping Plan-Greenway Trail along Chandler Mill Rd
- 21_Previous Correspondence